Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Aran-Weight Victorian Lace Shawl KAL

I haven't been posting much--between figuring out the free pattern from Elann (not the best pattern, by FAR) and my 2-year-old not sleeping, it's been busy around here.

I joined the KAL for the shawl after seeing the picture of it and falling in love. The pattern has left a lot to be desired though, so I've spent a lot of time charting it out and figuring out how many repeats, etc need to be made for the transitions between the lace patterns to come out looking decent. I think I've done an O.K. job but I haven't started the real shawl yet. I actually signed up for the Knitting Olympics and thought I'd do this shawl for it. It'll definitely be a challenge to get it done in 16 days, but using worsted-weight yarn from KnitPicks I might stand a chance of getting it done in that very brief amount of time. Maybe.


I managed to get my yarn for the Diamond Fantasy Shawl dyed last week, and yesterday my swift arrived. Hooray!! Now I have two very nicely wound balls of yarn just waiting to be made up into that beautiful shawl. The yarn is Color Your Own from KnitPicks, and I LOVE working with it. I can see a whole lot more of that yarn in my future.

Of course, I have some projects I need to finish first including: the Flared Lace Smoke Ring I'm making from the neat possum yarn from my sister, the two Christmas stockings that I STILL haven't finished, and the Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl that's also a KAL. The smoke ring was supposed to be a kind-of-quick project, but I have to admit that I'm bored with it now—and it's almost halfway done. I'm going to really push myself to finish it though because it really is going to be beautiful. If it can just get it done.

On Saturday night I went to the Knit Wit night at Two Sticks and String. We had a great time, and among other things, I made this:

Gillian claimed it almost immediately. :-)

No comments: