Monday, June 27, 2005

Moebius, kind of?

Never let it be said that I don't just jump right into a project.

For some reason (I blame the TraditionalKnitting list on Yahoo, you enablers, you) I discovered knit Moebius rings. Now I know these aren't exactly new, but all of the sudden they appealed to me. I don't know exactly why they didn't before, but I just HAD to make one. Looking at information about Cat Bordhi's books (http://www.catbordhi.com/) The Treasury of Magical Knitting and The Second Treasury of Magical Knitting, the pictures blew me away. Not that I'd probably end up making most of it, but it sure is inspiring!

Last night I read some instructions online and sat down and tried to make one. I tried to remember what I'd read, which I thought I'd remembered correctly. After four non-starts, I decided to go to bed. After all, it was almost 2:00 in the morning and maybe I'd be fresher in the morning. Go figure.

So today I actually printed out the instructions (http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/scarfmb.shtml) and started again. This time I used a different cast on, since I think the problem I'd been having was in knitting into the bottom of the cast-on row. So once I used the right cast-on method, (here's a little animation of what I did, although I didn't do it at the end of an established row: http://www.dnt-inc.com/barhtmls/knit/sco.html) I was good to go. Or so I thought.

Somehow, I managed to put an extra twist into the Moebius band, so instead of one twist, I have THREE. Talk about overacheiving. Hahahahahah.

If I'd loosened up on my binding off, this would just barely fit over my head. Actually, if I really tried I could probably do it now, but I really kind of doubt I'd actually wear it as-is. For one thing, the color of the yarn goes with nothing in my wardrobe, and I've got in mind a shawl-kind-of-thing for this technique.

I've decided that I really need to get a copy of her Second Treasury of Magic Knitting for the bowls if nothing else. You can see a preview of her books here: http://www.catbordhi.com/downloads/Magical_Knitting_Sample.pdf and http://www.catbordhi.com/documents/TMK2Web_000.pdf. Sit down with a cup of coffee (or tea, or whatever) and take a look at all the cool projects she's got. Not that I'd end up making most of them, but wow are they ever inspiring!!

Now if only I can figure out the RIGHT way to do this, I might actually make something wearable. Oh well. I'll bet my daughter will end up LOVING this Moebius band. She tends to absorb many odd things into her wardrobe. (She's four and quite the little ham.)

No comments: