Monday, June 05, 2006

Afghan blocks finished

I'm part of a group that is working on an afghan for a dear internet friend's husband, who has been pretty much the sole force behind keeping her alive the last few weeks. The group decided on blue to blue-grey to grey, so this is what I came up with:


This one is my first attempt at doing mitered squares. I came up with a different technique for making that 90 degree bend than I've seen in other places, although I've got too much going right now to explain it--as soon as this quilt show is over I'll have more time. The square really doesn't look as wonky in real life as it does in the picture. Really!


This one has "popcorns" all over it. I got the technique for these from The Knitter's Bible, which I highly recommend. I've only had that book for about three weeks and I've already tried three new techniques I hadn't run across before. And yes, I already know that the bottom edge doesn't have as many rows as the top edge. I decided that I can live with it. For a by-the-seat-of-my-pants square I think it came out really well.

2 comments:

Skwerly said...

That mitred square afghan is so awesome! I've never seen anything like that before.

Kat said...

Thank Jen! It was really fun to make. I think I see more of these in my future. LOL!!!

They really show off variegated yarn, which is one of my weaknesses. :-)