Thursday, February 16, 2006

Olympic Dropout!

I really think I'm going to have to drop out of the Knitting Olympics. When it started I couldn't knit--brain wasn't working--so now that it IS working (more or less) it's waaaay too late to start anything. Not only that, but I just barely ordered the yarn yesterday for the Aran-Weight Victorian Lace Shawl, which was going to be my Olympic project. The yarn probably won't even be here before the closing ceremonies, but that's what I get for not ordering the yarn before I got sick. Not that I'd stand a CHANCE of finishing something like that before the closing ceremonies at this point.

I thought about joining the UFOlympics, but the rules state you have to declare your projects *before* the opening ceremonies. Sigh.

So now the question is, do I change my current project, started *today,* as my Olympic project? I seem to be extremely challenged by finishing things lately, so that might just be it. What's my current project? I started a modular-kind-of scarf for my sister-in-law using yarn I had in my fiber art stash. Not my knitting stash--this was originally purchased for making those thread scarves using wash-away stabilizer. Since it's sat in a bag for three years, it's fair game. I might get my act together enough to post pictures tomorrow. On second thought, it's not that challenging and I'm almost halfway through judging by they yarn left on the skein.

Another project I need to make is a pair of wrist/hand warmers for myself. I have the yarn (Merino Style by KnitPicks in hollyberry) and the idea, and it would definitely be a challenge to get ONE done by the closing ceremonies. Thoughts? Opinions? Guidance? Please?

I've got a few too many projects going right now:
1.) Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl, although my goal for finishing it is September 1 (to be able to enter it in the fair) and it's a very long-term project for me;
2.) Diamond Fantasy Shawl by Sivia Harding which I started February 2, before I got sick;
3.) Christmas stockings for my little ones, one of which is about 40% finished and the other is more like 25% finished. Not that Christmas is around the corner, but it sure does manage to sneak up on me every year;
4.) Heather's scarf, which I started today. I should be able to finish it tomorrow or the next day, as it's going really quickly;
5.) My Non-Henley sweater, which I need to rip almost all the way back to the beginning; and
6.) Kiddy Print shawl, which needs another skein of yarn. I've been too sick to go get more, so it's languishing in my son's room (where I often have need of mindless knitting).

That's not too bad, but I don't like having so many unfinished knitting projects. I have waaaay too many quilting UFOs to get into that many knitting UFOs.

So now I made a huge KnitPicks order, and I've got yarn coming for the Aran-Weight Victorian Lace Shawl (see button on sidebar), the pattern for the Hanging Garden Lace Stole and yarn in the dark blue Alpaca Cloud, 6 skeins of Alpaca Cloud in Sunlight since I couldn't decide on a color and it dyes so wonderfully, a bunch of dye-your-own yarns in fingering and lace weight, and a color card for Shine yarn.

That's more than enough to keep me busy for a while. Then there's the absolutely luscious yarn I traded for with Helle (Helle, I got the last items today and they're going to get mailed tomorrow if I can make it), and one of the patterns my aunt sent is absolutely calling to me to make it NOW. I really feel like I have to finish at least my Diamond Fantasy Shawl before I start another large-scale project like that though. I think it would threaten my sanity to have TWO large, complex lace projects going at once. I'm so envious of the people who've already finished their Frost Flower and Leaves from the KAL. I'm still plugging away at about 23%....

Now if I was a really smart person, I'd go to bed RIGHT NOW. But then there's laundry, and dishes, and toys on the living room floor....

No comments: