Saturday, November 28, 2009

Yet another catch-up post

As usual, it's been a while since I posted last.

I've been busy between the knitting workshop and now!

First, the last day of the workshop:

Susanna Hansson taught a class on stripes, and it was wonderful! I was initially disappointed that it had been chosen, but I learned a lot. She talked about the Fibonacci sequence in a new way than I'd thought about, and I learned a new twist on making a jogless stripe.

The hat above is too small for Ryan so I made him one that's identical only bigger. Gillian wants one, too, only in purples instead of blues.


I finally finished up my second Honeycomb fingerless mitt. I've been working on writing up the pattern to make two at a time on magic loop, and hopefully I'll have it test knit and ready sometime in the next month or so.

I've also been doing some Christmas knitting, which I'm going to refrain from posting about here. I don't think the recipient reads my blog but I don't want to chance it.


During the spinning guild meeting and while Karen was here (we had a great time -- more about that later), I managed to get the Ashland Bay merino/silk spun up that I bought at the Snake River Fiber Fair in 2007. I think that finishes up the fiber that I bought then.

I got 184 yards from 4 ounces, and it's worsted weight.

Of course the picture doesn't do it justice. It's so soft! And of course I have no idea what I'm going to do with it (as usual!).


My very nice Mother-In-Law sent me a gorgeous present for my birthday:

It's a basket of Amaryllis! I'm very excited. I love these plants, and three at once is a special treat.

I also got some yarn from Aunt Louise for my birthday:

She sent eight skeins of worsted-weight 100% Peruvian Alpaca, and it's incredibly soft! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it (yet) beyond petting it occasionally. She said that she made a jacket with some black yarn of the same stuff, and I can only imagine how wonderful it is. I'm tempted to dye it and make a cuff-to-cuff jacket. We'll see....


Now, on to activities while Karen was here.

When my sister comes down to Tulsa, one of the must-visit places is DSW shoes, and this time I actually found *two* pairs of shoes for me! This is a truly earth-shattering event.

Here's a pic of one of the pairs:

Not only are they cute, they show off my socks (which knitters know is very important). I'll work on getting a picture of the other pair soon. They're just as cute!

Karen outdid herself with Thanksgiving. Here is everyone, ready to eat:

It was incredibly tasty and I'm so thrilled that we have leftovers. Yummy!!!

We swore we wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday but we ended up going anyway. We left Karen at home to nap and went to Harbor Freight (which Greg calls "Michael's for men") to get some wheels for the kids' go cart. It's been a big hit!

Karen went back up to Illinois this morning, and she's got a bit of work ahead of her. She's got about a week to finish her dissertation, then a week to relax and clean until my parents arrive. They'll all drive down from Illinois to spend Christmas with us, which will be wonderful!

The kids and I are going to work on getting the Christmas decorations out and put up this afternoon [since it's already noon! Where did the morning go?!?!] so hopefully I'll have some pics to share of that for my next post.


I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

No comments: