Monday, April 16, 2007

More bathroom details (remodeling, that is!)

My husband is so talented!

Here's what he did this evening (please ignore the red dust from the tile on the shower and the bolts/nuts for the toilet):

He put in the new trim, including this awesome corner!!! I just LOVE how it looks. I talked him into putting that rounded corner in when he added the little wall, and I think he's been ready to strangle me over it a few times now. But just look at how awesome it looks!! Unfortunately it'll be hidden by the toilet most of the time, as you'll see in the next picture.

#1 is the new corner;
#2 (both of them) points to he quarter-round trim that he added, including a beautifully-mitered corner;
#3 is the new grout that makes the whole bathroom look a million times cleaner, and it's an epoxy grout so it should resist stains.

All of the trim is a plastic material and it's SO cool! DH says it works better than wood (as in it's easier to work with), plus it's plastic so it'll be better in a bathroom.

We're pretty excited! Now we just have to repaint the trim, doors, and cabinets and we'll be almost done. The prep work for painting is going to be a real job since the people who painted everything before us didn't do any prep, including not taking off the foam tape for hanging hooks and not removing the little bumper things that make the doors close more quietly. I swear, sometimes I'd like to hunt people down and tell them that if they ever paint anything again, I'll personally strangle them. [I wouldn't really, but I enjoy thinking about it as I'm scraping/sanding off their sloppiness.]

We bought a shower door yesterday and hopefully we'll install that Wednesday evening after DH gets home from work. It has clear doors, which we weren't thrilled about, but it had the handle style and framless-ness that we wanted, so I'm going to use some privacy tint film and make them frosted. That'll probably happen tomorrow, then we'll install it Wednesday.

I can't believe what a tremendous difference the trim makes in the bathroom! I'm so proud of my hubby.

And just for the heck of it, here's how things looked when we started this whole project:

[Except they'd also painted the light fixture burgandy—I used a "hammered silver" spray paint and repainted it.]

[DH and my Dad had ripped out the old tile that had been leaking for years, but you can get the idea....]


**shudder**


Another thing I got done today was replacing the light fixture in the hallway. I had a good helper, my 3-year-old, and I'm thrilled with it.

Old light fixture:
New light fixture:

Nice, huh?




And YES, Mel, I'm definitely ready to celebrate after finishing Greg's sweater!! :-)

1 comment:

rori381 said...

Greg did a fantastic job!!!
Hope you didn't use sharpie marker on the floor when you drew those numbers, I hear they're a pain in the a$$ to clean off. ((big evil grin))
The sweater looks great.

rori