Monday, June 09, 2008

Quilt Show is Done (and so am I!)

The Green Country Quilter's Guild show was Friday and Saturday and it went really well. I'm still not recovered from it but hopefully I will be in another day or so. I had a horrible charley horse just below my knee on Friday night/early Saturday morning and it's still incredibly sore, unfortunately. Whine whine whine.

While I had my quilt patterns there to sell, the main purpose of being there was to advertise my machine quilting and I definitely got my name out!

By request, here are some pictures of my booth:




I pinned patterns up on each of the quilts so that it was obvious which pattern went to what.

One of the thing that really surprised me was how many people LOVED the brown Bear Paw Frolic quilt at the back. Probably half of the people who came into my booth loved that one. I made that quilt about six years ago and had to really search out browns, but apparently brown is IN this year and it caught a lot of people's eyes. You never know about people!

My location wasn't great and they really messed up my information in the show program (didn't include my business name, email address, or web site--argh!!) and I have a nasty suspicion that I only got about half of the foot traffic that went through the vendor area. Oh well, not anything I can do about that, but I'll think very hard about signing up to be a vendor at the next show in 2010.

I discovered that if I sat down and knitted, but still greeted people as they went by, I had a lot more people come into the booth. As a result I got a fair amount of knitting done on my socks. I'll try to get pictures a little bit later.

-----------------------

On Friday night I was totally exhausted, but I needed to do something that wasn't quilt related, so I finished the chart of the Rona Shawl from KnitPicks. I was chatting with a fellow Raveler and she mentioned that the Rona Shawl might be the next big project to go through the knitting world, but I said that since it's not charted I doubt that'll happen. The pattern has been out for a least a year but I haven't seen many finished projects.

Personally, I don't work from word patterns (as opposed to charted patterns) because, 150% guaranteed, I will totally mess it up. I think it's the dyslexia in me, but working from written instructions is horribly confusing for me. I have to cross out each step as I do it or it's a disaster. If I can work from a chart the project just flies by.

I haven't knitted the shawl yet but I think I'm going to start it using some of my handspun.


If you've purchased the Rona Shawl pattern from KnitPicks and would like a copy of the chart (but please keep in mind that it hasn't been test knit yet), I'll be happy to send it to you as long as you can give me some confirmation that you've purchased it. Email me or leave me a comment (with a way to contact you) and I'll send you more details.

-----------------------

Tonight is the monthly K.N.I.T. Guild meeting (Knitting Needles In Tulsa) and I'm looking forward to it. During the summer months there's no formal meeting or program, but at the September meeting I'll be giving a program on short rows. At least I'll have plenty of time to get ready for it. ;-)

-----------------------

Thanks for all the well wishes for the quilt show! Now I can relax a little and maybe get caught up on my blogroll, since I currently have 1108 unread posts....

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Your booth looks lovely. I was interested in attending but didn't make it. Could you please give me some info about Knitting Guild? I live in Owasso and was wondering exactly what it is. Also I am interested in your class on short rows.
I have been enjoying your blog for several weeks now.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Your booth looked great Kat - I hope you got a lot of info out about your quilting.

I just bought the Rona Shawl pattern...I LOVE It!!! Knitting from written doesn't bother me, but I may chart it or ask you for yours :)

Beautiful quilts :)