Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Edging for Fir Cone shawl

I'm working on picking an edging for my Fir Cone shawl, and it's a tough choice!!!
I made a swatch of a variation of a Normandy Lace edging, and I don't think I like it for this shawl. I'll definitely use it on something else, but I think it would detract from the neat pattern of the fir cone stitch.

What does a Normandy edging look like, you ask? Well here you go:

I changed it a little bit; I made it into a 10-stitch repeat instead of 12, and I eliminated the yo in the center of the open parts (it liked kind of like a weird eye to me).

Here's a truly bastardized version of how it might look (through the wonders of Photoshop, although it's EXTREMELY quick and dirty):

The proportions are a little off, but you can get the general idea.

Here's my second edging attempt, again a frankenstein-ish conglomeration:

I'm also worried that the Normandy lace is a bit too time-consuming, since I'm supposed to be starting the Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl on Nov 1 for the KAL. That's next week....

I'm definitely liking the second edging better. Now I just have to figure out how to miter the corners so it doesn't look weird on the shawl.

No comments: