I made a swatch of a variation of a Normandy Lace edging, and I don't think I like it for this shawl. I'll definitely use it on something else, but I think it would detract from the neat pattern of the fir cone stitch.
What does a Normandy edging look like, you ask? Well here you go:
I changed it a little bit; I made it into a 10-stitch repeat instead of 12, and I eliminated the yo in the center of the open parts (it liked kind of like a weird eye to me).
Here's a truly bastardized version of how it might look (through the wonders of Photoshop, although it's EXTREMELY quick and dirty):
Here's my second edging attempt, again a frankenstein-ish conglomeration:
I'm also worried that the Normandy lace is a bit too time-consuming, since I'm supposed to be starting the Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl on Nov 1 for the KAL. That's next week....
I'm definitely liking the second edging better. Now I just have to figure out how to miter the corners so it doesn't look weird on the shawl.