Sunday, August 26, 2007

I won a contest!

There hasn't been a whole lot going on around here, but I did manage to purchase the Spring Things Shawl from Susan of the I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can blog.

She was celebrating her birthday in part by putting some of her patterns at half off, and at the end of the week she was to draw out a name from everyone who'd purchased one of her patterns during the week. That person would receive the yarn to make the item in the pattern they purchased. SHE DREW MY NAME! I'm so excited!!

So not only did I get a great deal on the pattern, but one ball of Zephyr is on its way to me!

I had to really think about the color I want to use. I've been on a blue kick for the last few years and now I'm kind of tired of it. I was on a red kick for a while, too, but red gets hard to wear sometimes. I have so many red shirts that a red shawl just blends right in. Purple is the obvious blend of blue and red so I didn't want to go with that.

I decided on green, a lovely, slightly-yellowed green. Mmmmm yummy! The color is called Basil and you can see it here. I blame my interest in green on Rebecca.

I can't wait to cast on for this project and I think I'm going to push myself to finish the Hanging Garden Stole before the yarn for the Spring Things Shawl arrives. I'm almost done with the eleventh repeat and I've decided to go to twelve repeats, do a few rows of garten and then bind off. I'd originally been planning to pick up stitches along the sides and do a knitted-on border, but I've since decided that I like it the way it is (and I might slit my wrists if I have to pick up 1,300 stitches for a border). Yeah. It's going to be beautiful if I can just get it finished!

------------------

My allergies are getting better, especially since the kitties have been in the garage for a few days now. They've got their own little area set up, and we've been letting them take forays into the great big wide world--with very close supervision. They LOVE being outside although they're very cautious. We're all going to be happier with outside kitties, and I won't have to die from not being able to breathe.

My not-very-happy eyes are getting better and I was even able to wear my contacts for a few hours yesterday. Oh happy day!! I HATE wearing glasses especially since the pair I have is from the late 1980s, I think, and the prescription isn't totally up to date. It's not bad, but it's not perfect either. The frames are also a fairly bright green. And kind of large. No, I'm not going to post a picture right now. Maybe later, when I don't have to wear them.

------------------

Thanks to everyone who's left comments about the kitties/allergies/dander. It helps to know there are options!

4 comments:

Monika said...

Congratulations! Doens't everybody love green? ;o)

Opal said...

Yay! You won a contest! And I just love that green you picked.

Romi said...

Woohooo! Yay you! :)

Marlene said...

Congratulations on winning the contest .... and stepping out of your colour "comfort zone".