Here's a picture of the repairs we (my husband and I) made to the wheel:
But as you can see from the next picture, it works just fine now!
I really really like this wheel! It's not one that's been well-known from what research I've done. It's a circa 1995-ish Fricke (rhymes with Ricky) and I LOVE the solid plywood wheel. It's never going to warp since it's not solid wood, but the veneer makes it look good. It also doesn't have an orifice as such; instead it has a triangular-shaped piece of metal that you thread the wool through. No need for an orifice hook! Believe me, that's a very good thing right now as I keep breaking the yarn and having to re-thread often.
It took me a little while to figure out the bobbin brake but I did it! I even made a little spring since I wasn't paying attention and managed to break the brake cord almost immediately. It needs to be loosened before you take off the bobbin, but I kept forgetting it was there. The spring allows it just enough give so that when I pull on the bobbin I remember to undo the brake cord before it breaks. I made the spring from some 18-gauge base-metal wire I have for making jewelry, so I don't know how long it'll last. I can always make a new one though.
Knitting-wise, I'm still working on the Angel Pearls scarf. I started the 10th repeat last night, then I'll move on to the chart that makes the decreasing point. I haven't been working on Greg's sweater. I need to get back to it, but I just haven't worked up to ripping out most of the sleeves yet. As soon as I finish the scarf I'm going to do that.
I've been working on some row-counter bracelets since people have been requesting them. I need to pick up a few more beads, then I'll post some pictures.
The kids are needing some outside time, so we're going to go out and enjoy the cold, but beautifully sunny, weather.