Sunday, July 22, 2007

Victorian Lace Socks, Spinning

Wow, I'm really doing well with the creative titles lately, huh?

Socks first:

Those are my Victorian Lace Socks from the SixSoxKAL group. I love them! It was my first time doing a short-row toe and it's now my favorite. I grafted them together on the top just below the end of the lace, and if I hadn't told you, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Here's a different view (crappy, with flash) last night after I finished the grafting on the first sock:


And a pic of the bottom, showing the neat striping of the yarn. This is stuff I dyed a while back for some cuffs on a different sock and I still have a bit left after this pair. I haven't weighed it to see exactly how much I have, but not a whole lot.

Yes, the variegation does obscure the lace pattern, but I can certainly live with it. I really like these!

--------------

Now for the spinning portion of the post.

This is half of the 4 ounces I have (wound onto an empty toilet paper tube). It's so hard to capture the angelina that's in there, and the singles just sparkle with it in person. So much so that I'm kind of wondering if it's too much. [I kind of doubt it, but we'll see.]

It took me a long time to spin up this and I suspect it'll take me even longer to spin up the second half of the top. I sure am looking forward to plying it and seeing how it looks.

And just because, here's a gratuitous extra shot of the singles.



This is some Ashland Bay Merino that I also got at the Snake River Fiber Fair, and I'm just thrilled with how it's spinning up!


As I was winding it onto the tube I noticed that it's nowhere near as even as I thought it was as I was spinning it, but I think it'll be all right. I've divided the 8 ounces into thirds and this is the first third. I'm going to make a 3-ply yarn and it'll probably end up being close to worsted-weight. We'll see though--I'm still at the stage of spinning where things don't turn out quite the way I anticipated.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the nice comments on my Mystery Stole!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow, you must be a natural at spinning! It really looks wonderful. I enjoyed catching up on your blog.

Taueret said...

I like lace + variegated yarn. The socks are lovely! Your spinning looks fab too. I'd like to see it plied, especially the 3-ply yarn, I bet that comes out gorgeous.

Opal said...

I think the lace and that yarn go well together! That's a really good looking pair of socks. And your singles are gorgeous!

Monika said...

Oh, lovely yarn, well spun! I love seeing handspun yarn, and it gets me going on my roving. Just finishe something today. Had to try Navajo plying again, but I'm not good at it. I'll try 3-ply next, but before that i still have to make a 2-ply natural brown BFL to finish one project. But after that, lots of color. I can't wait to see your blue singles, plied and eventually knit up. It's so much fun to knit with ones own handspun yarn!